Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Men in Tights

On Sunday we had stake conference so we had to be to church by nine. This is a good thing because then we are not at church during Dalin's nap time, but it's not so good because there is always a frenzy of getting ready before we leave, in this case, just in the nick of time. Dalin is usually the last one to get ready because of his uncanny ability to get dirty. At one point he was trying to open a package of tights, he was being quiet, and I was able to get stuff done so I left him to it. When it was his turn to get ready, he refused to put anything else on until I let him put the tights on. It has been a loooong week and I had neither the time or the energy to fight him. He was wearing a onesie shirt and pants so you couldn't even see the tights, except Aiden kept lifting up Dalin's pant leg and laughing and that made it hard for me to be very reverent. After we came home I changed his clothes and he let me take off the tights so I thought that was the end of it, but when I told the kids to get their shoes on so we could go to my parents house, he brought me the tights again saying, "socks." It was pretty funny, and one of those cherished stories we can threaten to tell to his first date.

You can't really tell he has tights on, but they are there.
My favorite family tradition is decorating heart shaped cakes for the family home evening before Valentines day. This year we decided to have a joint family birthday party for the three grandkids (Ashton being one of them) that have February birthdays. It was a lot of fun as always. The grand kids are getting old enough to follow in the foot steps of their parents and uncles by piling on as much frosting and candy as possible. Many cakes are hollowed out so they can fit even more candy inside. My niece Abby was sitting next to me and I kept watching as she added more and more frosting. I think she ended up with at least four inches of frosting on top of her cake. My brother Brian challenged Aiden to a contest to see who could eat their cake in the least amount of bites. I kept telling Aiden it was a trick and he didn't have to do it, but Aiden had been looking forward to cakes for the whole day so he was up to the challenge. For some reason my brothers love to see Aiden fill his mouth to capacity, and Brian wasn't even taking any bites. This morning I heard Aiden telling the story to his cousin Jayden and he said, "I don't think I want to have another contest, I think that's the reason my tummy hurt." Ya think?!? I'm glad he learned something. I didn't have my camera, so I didn't get a whole group shot of the cakes, but here is one of the cakes my kids made.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Hey, Kristen Kay! I love the tights story! I did get your last comment, and I wrote down your phone number and saved your comment somewhere else, then deleted your post (I just don't trust private information on the internet so much). I'm glad that you find such joy in my snow misery. :0) I'm very excited to be soaking up the Vegas sun here in a few days. I will definitely try to see you while I'm down there. Take care!