Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Importance of Toast

The big program day finally arrived and everything went very well. If you heard a huge sigh of relief, it was probably me. I was so relieved that I’m sure my “phew” could be heard around the world. Our practice last week didn’t give me a lot of confidence, but the kids were excellent. Inevitably there is one child who won’t say their part or get overly excited to be at the microphone and talk as loudly as they can while almost swallowing the microphone, but all of our children said their parts nicely and the whole thing went very smoothly. We did have a slight incident. I was sitting next to the podium so I could help the kids with their parts, Aiden took this as an invitation to come and talk to me whenever the mood hit. If I hadn’t been up there I’m sure he would have been fine but as it was it was a convenient way to not have to stay in his seat. The first time he came up and whispered something I couldn’t understand so I sent him back to his chair. A minute later he came back to tell me something I still couldn’t understand (at least he was being quiet) so I sternly told him to go back to his seat. Now he was crying as he sat back down. I thought it was because I had sent him back to his seat. When he came back a third time I finally understood what he said to me. I asked him what the problem was and he said, “You said you would make me some toast before we came to church and I didn’t get any.” I wanted to shout, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! This is the moment you need to discuss this?" After promising to make him some toast when we got home the rest of the meeting went on without further tragedy. Chris said Dalin was being pretty funny, because he could see me on the stand but he just couldn’t figure out how to get to me. Even in his moments of muckus, that kid can be pretty dang cute.

No comments: