Wednesday, July 31, 2013

And then this happened

Like I said before, our kids have had a really hard time with this move.  They have also been asking to get a dog for a really long time.  They would beg to go to the pet store so they could play with the puppies.  My excuse before was that our house was to small for any sort of animals.  With almost twice the space Chris decided that was no longer a valid excuse.  He found a dog through that was going to be up for adoption at a local Petsmart, but when he called the lady told him there was a lot of interest in this particular dog so if he wanted it he would have to get there early.  The adoptions started at 11 am and I don't know if he forgot or if he just thought he had no chance (especially because I was still pretty much against it) but he and Ashton didn't go over until about 2:00.  The dog was still there and after playing with him for about 30 min, he texted me a picture and told me to come over and see him.  I was pretty sure we couldn't afford it and I wasn't going to give in, but I loaded up the rest of the kids to go see the dog.  Kaylee was in love the second she saw the dog and I was sunk!  Aiden is even more opposed to a dog than I am, but we both got overruled.  I'm calling him our therapy dog because so far he has helped our really sad kids (except for Aiden, he spends most of his day hopping from couch to couch so the dog can't touch him.  Poor kid)  He was found with his brother and the adoption place named them Phineas and Ferb.  We got Ferb and I wanted to change his name (because as my mom pointed out he shouldn't have to live with pound name) but I got outvoted so Ferb it is.  I don't know if it was sad or scared, probably both, but his first night home it actually sounded like he was crying most of the night.  He's sleeping in a crate so we don't have to worry about accidents, so Chris ended up sleeping on the floor next to the crate to help comfort the dog and take him outside (several times) to do his business.  I spent more than my fair share of nights awake with babies so it was fun to see Chris have his turn...kind of;)

The adoption people told us he was a stray and they think he is a mix of yorkie and shih tzu.  He's about eight weeks old, and okay even I will admit he is stinkin cute.

No comments: