Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lettuce Wraps

Sometimes I find recipes that I really like so I put them on my blog so they are easier for me to find.  If you like them too then bonus:)  I adapted this recipe from one I found here.  I serve it with rice or noodles and a side of fruit or veggies and I have a quick healthy dinner (pretty low in points too if you keep track of that kind of thing;).

Ingredients: 
20 ounces ground turkey*
1 small can mushrooms (mushrooms and I are not friends so I leave them out)
1 small can water chestnuts
1 tablespoon of oil
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
2 tablespoons of diced green scallions
Sauce (see below) 
Rice sticks (prepared)
1 teaspoon of sesame oil (optional)


Minced Chicken Sauce:
1/4 cup of mushroom soy sauce ( I only had the low sodium kind it worked fine)
1/4 cup of fish sauce
1/2 tsp of white pepper
1/4 cup of rice vinegar
1 T of sugar

Heat mixture on medium high heat at low boil for about 6 to 8 minutes.
(can cool and refrigerate additional sauce)  
This smelled terrible while it was cooking, and I think the pepper gives it kind of a pepper spray effect, (don't breathe to deeply while it's boiling) but it tasted really good once it was combined with the meat.


Heat oil in a large skillet (I like to use a pastry brush to get an even coat)
Add garlic 5-10 seconds
Add ground turkey and brown
Add mushrooms and water chestnuts (I usually do this part shortly before the turkey is completely cooked)
Add 1/2 (or little more if you want) sauce, stir and incorporate.
Add 2 tbs of diced green scallions
Add 1tps of sesame oil and plate (optional)

*Ground turkey is easier for me but you can use minced chicken for a restaurant effect

1 comment:

Kim Edwards said...

you need to get on Pinterest to keep ALL your recipes there! I love it